Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring at Last!

   OK, I'm a believer now. Spring is indeed here. My King Alfred daffodils in my back garden were blooming this weekend.


My purple Jackmani Clematis that grows over my arbor and up into the Magnolia tree is still in hibernation. The daffodils seem to be shouting, "Wake up!"

   It was 70d on Sunday and I enjoyed working in my front garden. It is filled with a 100 + hosta varieties and wildflowers I've imported over the last 13 years we've lived in Iowa. The Blood Root is in bloom and the hostas are peaking through the soil too. I love spring and the rebirth of all living things in my garden. Gardening is my other passion when I'm not quilting.
   April Fool's Day we celebrated my Mom's 88th birthday with pizza, ice cream, and cake. She loved her quilt top and was only slightly disappointed that she had to give it back to be quilted. It looked lovely on her bed temporarily. I forgot my camera and didn't get a picture of her or her quilt. :-(  In honor of my Mom and all mothers, I'm sharing some pictures of elderly mothers from the Civil War Era.

   This first unknown lady is a Southern mother. I hope she was happier than she looks in the photo! 
The next unidentified lady is from Salem, New York. She is dressed in full mourning attire. The dress is silk and indicates she was a  woman of means. Had she lost her husband in old age or perhaps a beloved son fighting in the war?





             This last lady is dressed richly as well, but not in mourning. I love the brooch at her neck. Her identity is unknown, but she was from Granville, New York.



    On April 4, 1861, the Virginia state convention rejected secession by a vote of 89 to 45. With the growing hostilities, on April 6, President Lincoln notifies South Carolina that he will be ordering the resupplying of Ft. Sumter and 2 days later, Secretary of State Seward declares the Union will defend its installations if attacked. A feeling of foreboding permeates the entire nation. The country is on the brink of war with itself.

    Happy Spring to you all! Keep stitching.
                       Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment