Sunday, May 1, 2011

On the Road Again!

   I gave my Civil War presentation at the Dover Museum in New London today to a packed house. After doing one yesterday in Hills, I'm bone tired. Packing everything into totes and loading my car to the brim, then unloading the car, setting my display up (on the 2nd floor) at Inspirations, packing it back up and down the stairs to load my car, then unloading today at the Dover Museum, setting up, packing up again, unloading at home and putting everything away and spending hours in full Civil War attire is more work than working my day job! I really need to not book myself 2 days in a row again, ever. Besides the fatigue, I really love doing it though.  This is the first time I've had reporters from multiple newspapers there to interview me  and, boy, that was unnerving, especially when one came back and interviewed me before I presented. Talk about pressure to perform well! One of his questions was, "Why would someone want to attend one of your presentations? What can they expect to gain from the experience?" Say whaaat?!!! I'm almost afraid to read the Burlington Hawkeye tomorrow. He did stay for the whole show so I guess he found something of interest in it. My audiences usually consist of all or mostly all women. This one had about 1/3 men in attendance. They actually asked more questions at the conclusion than the women did. I had to watch my "p's and q's", because I usually do a little male bashing in my stories, but I gave them advance warning. I asked if any of the men were thin-skinned or sensitive types and no one raised their hand. None of them booed or heckled me either so I guess they were all self assured men who can take a little abuse. I didn't even get one dirty look from them. Now that's what I call success, unless they were hard of hearing or maybe dozed off during most of it.

   I was planning on sewing some blocks tonight when I got home, but I can't get up the ambition to do anything more than sit here at my computer. Bedtime is sounding pretty good to me about now.

   I'll just share a few Civil War bits with you first. The end of April, 1861 saw Virginia  secede from the Union and US and Confederate troops clashed in Maryland. On the 20th, Robert E. Lee resigned from the US Army and was named commander of the Virginia state troops. Units from New York arrived in Washington, D.C. Richmond, Virgina became the capital of the Confederate States while Maryland voted against secession.

   Men from all walks of life began enlisting to fight for the Union. Men like this humble farmer...



And this businessman...


And even  professors...


Leaving behind sweathearts and mothers...






Many children would never see their fathers again...


April, 1861 to April, 1865 would see our country fighting a war that would cost the lives of over 600,000 of our brothers, sons, husbands, and fathers. After all that loss, we'd suffer the loss of our 16th president to an assassin's bullet. Our country would eventually heal, but it would take a long, long time.

Keep stitching.
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a good time at both events. Yes, I wouldn't want 2 shows back to back either. My next one is June 2 in Plainville, Il
    Getting closer to being done on my Roseville album. Just got back from Paducah, had a good time as always and spent much money.
    Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete