Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Let's Get this Party Started!

  My first full day of summer vacation! Yippee, yahoo, yassah! Sorry, I'm a little excited about it. I was so excited, I woke up earlier than on a school day. :o I knew better than to try to go back to sleep. It's party time, so I got up at 5:45AM ready to go. This morning I watched a movie (Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford) while sewing the binding on my Cozy Cottages quilt. The movie was only 2 hours long, but the binding took me 4 hours. As I've mentioned before, I hate to bind! It's torture I'd avoid at all cost if only a quilt could be called finished without it :( Oh well, it's done and on it's way to Santa Barbara to my niece at last.

   I worked on blocks for the book today too. I now have 90 made. I wish I could show them. Maybe I'll take a picture of pieces so you can at least see the fabrics. I've named it, "Hardtack and Coffee", a staple in a Civil War soldiers diet. The quilt is very scrappy, assorted shirtings and prints of rich reds, golds, browns, navy, and random bits of poison greens.

  I'm giving a presentation in Davenport on Sunday and have a lot to do to get ready for that, but not today. Today was play time. Not tomorrow either. I am taking groceries and cleaning products to my Mom. She has been suffering from back pain this past week and is still not up to going out herself. Friday will be "crunch time" and I'll type new notes, pack my display items, and practice my talk. I probably don't need to, but it makes me feel more confident when I run through it once at home. If walls could talk, my house would spout Civil War facts and quilt stories.

   The state of Tennessee voted for secession today, 150 years ago. My paternal ancestors were from Tennessee and I'm sure some of them fought in the war. Chances are there were Lillards fighting for the Union and some of them on the Confederate side too. Tennessee was divided in it's loyalties even though it officially seceded from the Union.

    Here are a couple photos of Civil War soldiers from my collection. The first is an unidentified Union officer. I'm not good at recognizing rank, so I can't tell you what his was. He looks a little war weary, doesn't he?



   The next photo, also unidentified, is of a young Confederate soldier from Montgomery, Alabama. He looks so innocent, I'm sure it's his recruitment photo, before he's seen the horrors of battle.






   Maybe I'll sew a few more blocks before I go to bed. After all, it's summer...no curfew! :)

Keep stitching!
Becky

7 comments:

  1. I'm on break from the school year, also, a traumatic one, and like you am full of rejoicing!! Oh, the time is going so fast and I'm trying to do so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a new follower, I had not heard of your book. Sounds very exciting and I look forward to hearing and seeing more. Good luck with your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Aunt Bec! What a surprise this afternoon when a knock on the door turned out to be the mail carrier delivering THE PRETTIEST QUILT IN THE WORLD! It's just perfect and sweet and joyous and wonderful in every way. And I especially love that you used some of Great-Grandma's dress fabric in it. That means so much to me as I have so many good memories of her and in every one of them she's wearing one of her pretty, modest, flower-print dresses. There is no way I can ever thank you enough for all of the time and care you took in making this quilt for my family. We will cherish it always. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Love,

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, You are welcome! Somewhere in Heaven there is a white-haired lady in a calico dress with a non-matching calico apron smiling down at you with happiness that you appreciate the sentiment behind those stained-glass windows made from her dress.
    XO
    Aunt Bec

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ada just returned home from a day spent at the Santa Monica Pier with Jeff--cheeks sun-kissed, hair windblown, sand on her feet, half-wild with all the fun of the day--and she literally stopped in her tracks and gasped when she saw the quilt. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!" and "It's so sweet!" and "It's so pretty!" and "That's from my great-great-grandma's dress, really? That must have been such a pretty dress!" and so forth. Needless to say, she has claimed the quilt for her bed and as I type this is spreading it out and tucking her stuffed animals into place. I'll send you a pic of how it looks there soon, although please look past the 10,000 stuffies who will be sharing the bed with your work of art. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I quilt! Take fabric, cut it up, stitch it with love, bind it with a little of my soul tucked in, and give it to those I love. If they love it in return, then it's worth every stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, I have just surfed across your blog and have spent the last 30 minutes reading it. I love your blog design. I have become enamored with the CW also, especially since finding that my husband and I both have CW ancestors. Your presentation sounds wonderful and wished you lived closer to me in western Iowa. Are you doing any programs in the Des Moines area this summer? You have many of the same favorites as I do but enjoyed looking at some new ones on yours. I am a new follower and will look forward to hearing more about the book you are doing.

    ReplyDelete