Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Heatwave Hardships

   I'm happy to tell you I've had a complete recovery from Quiltus Interruptus and I'm sewing every day to meet my goal. I'm currently working on Emeline's Garden Baskets which has been a challenge. The baskets have an applique' handle and I'm not fond of doing applique' (very similar to my aversion to binding a quilt.) I love the look of applique' and love to see others' applique' projects and even love to own applique' quilts. I just don't enjoy doing applique'. So, I find myself clenching my teeth while working on those handles and thankful that I didn't design the pattern with the baskets full of garden produce! Now, if you buy the book and make your own quilt and want to fill your baskets with veggies appliqued in place, more power to you! My special talent has always been in the hand-quilting. I love it, but I do envy those of you who have the knack for applique'.

  I was a biking widow over the weekend. Randy participates in the RAIN Ride every year. RAIN stands for ride across INdiana...as in on a bicycle, riding across the entire state, in ONE day. Yes, he's crazy like that. This year's route was 175 miles from east to west. The heat index was well over 100 degrees and it took him just over 9 hours. I couldn't ride my bike from here to Burlington in 9 hours! Actually, I wouldn't even try.  I know my strengths and they don't include biking. I planned a glorious single gal weekend of sewing and nothing else. Except for Breakfast Club at Inspirations Saturday morning and church Sunday morning, I didn't come out of my sewing room. Aaaah. My idea of Heaven.

I don't have a picture of him on the RAIN Ride, but this is Randy on last year's RAGBRAI. Don't let the scowl fool you, he's having a blast.

When he's not riding his bike, he enjoys working on them for others. Too bad he can't repair sewing machines.

   Do you live in a state that is suffering this heat wave? After enjoying my sewathon weekend, I thought I'd get up early and mow the yard before the extreme heat set in yesterday. I was mowing by 7:30 AM. Because almost my entire yard is an English-style  flower garden with my house in the middle, I don't have much grass. I was done by 8 AM. I fed my koi and decided I should pull the pump and filter from the pond and clean them. It is a messy job which includes using the garden hose in pressure cleaning mode and I get splattered with pond gunk. By the time I was finished and had the pump and filter back in the pond, talked a little baby talk to my fish (yes, I do) and put the garden hose and mower away, it was 9:30 AM. I was dirty and my clothes were sticking to me with sweat. I came inside, peeled out of those sticky clothes, stepped into the shower, and turned on the water....NO WATER!!! I hadn't heard that the city was going to shut off the water to our neighborhood from 9 AM to 5PM on Monday! OMG, what was I going to do? Have you ever sponge bathed with wetwipes? Well, it's not fun or very efficient. And my sweat-soaked hair, there was nothing I could do. After my hair evaporated in my AC (Thank God for air conditioning) I went to McDonald's for coffee, since I couldn't even draw water for a cup of tea. I was itchy all day and praying that nobody made a surprise visit. My sister called and I told her the story. Of course, I got the expected and well-deserved sympathy I needed to placate me. Then, later I got a phone call from my dear sweet Mother. After the usual "Hello." she said, "Well, Becky, is it stinky at your house? " She had talked to my sister. Mom may be 88 years old, but she still has a wicked sense of humor, lucky me!

   Today, I'm having a much better day. I'm happily entrenched in my sewing room away from the scorching heat and expecting the only stress I'll have today is those darn applique handles. Arrrgh.

Keep stitching,
Becky

8 comments:

  1. Becky,
    OMG!! I laughed so hard!! Wet wipes? I assume your sister and mother don't live near you...or they should have offered to let you shower at their house!! What are families for?!!

    I hope the rest of your week goes more smoothly!

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Just came across you blog today. I love it!! And am excited to learn more from you. I'm no expert on antique quilts, but I love to buy "vintage" orphan blocks and put together small quilts and imagine what the original maker intended. I've just dug out some of those orphan blocks and have designed two small quilts. I haven't posted them yet on my blog, but will soon. Would love for you to take a look, as I would love to know the "age" of the blocks and fabric and look forward to your input.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too, too, funny Becky - 'spose not to you, but the visual was great for the rest of us! And, sorry, but your hubby is nutty crazy!! Even in normal temps, that's just...well...nutty! Guess I just don't have that biking passion either! Yes, we have the hot muggies here too...and it's supposed to last til the end of the week. I'm not complaining tho - I'll save that for the snow and cold that's bound to follow all to quickly. But it is somewhat oppressive - we've gotten a few rain showers the past two days, but, yikes, even the raindrops are hot!! Wishing you cool breezes....and happy stitches....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Too funny...We lost water for a couple of weeks after a flood in England (so bizarre to have no water at the tap when you are surrounded by water!) You get better with the wetwipes after a few day's of practice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee I might have been tempted to jump in the clean koi pond!

    I am currently appliquing leave to a scrappy quilt, you can see it if you visit my blog. I can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wet wipes shower story is a riot - though you probably didn't think so at the time. We live in the country & when the power goes out we can't even flush toilets-no water.
    I have been trying to learn applique this past year & the back basting method has been a real advantage. Visit our group blog - http://beyondthecherrytree.blogspot.com
    A bunch of us are reproducing our own 1840's applique quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good Laugh....I hope you laughed too!
    Wet wipes to the rescue!
    Of course it is the opposite weather here in New Zealand.We have plenty of water in taps and falling from the sky.
    My perfect day/night/days is sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, I like Denise' idea about jumping in the koi pond..but you are so inventive with the wetwipes..don't think I would have thought of that. I got a great laugh out of it..I love to applique and if I was close I would help you out. :-) Good luck on your progress!!

    ReplyDelete