Thursday, July 28, 2011

I'm Done!!!

  I finally came up for air today and stepped out of my sewing room a few times. I finished Emeline's Garden Baskets yesterday! Those #%*+$! basket handles almost got the best of me, but I persevered and hand-appliqued every stinking one of them myself. I didn't enjoy it though and I wasn't suddenly transformed into an applique artist either. I won't be giving any of you steep competition anytime soon so you don't have to worry about that.

   I started sewing the blocks for Bear Tracks together today. My quilting elves did a good job on them and I only had to make pieced alternate blocks to go with them for my design. I got out my graph paper and doodled and now I've decided to add a pieced border to the quilt. Maybe someone should hide my graph paper from me for awhile.
 
   I've had two fittings for my new Civil War dress. Val Gulseth is doing a beautiful job on it. She has been patient with me as I make changes to the original design. She assures me it will be done in time to take to Maine to wear for my scheduled presentations. I'm making a new hat to wear with it if I can find the time to finish it. I'm getting excited about this trip. It's the only time my sister, Sandra, and I get together each year and there is never a dull moment from the time we arrive at Melissa's house. She wants to go to Dorr Woolen Mill in New Hampshire one day to buy wool for her rug hooking. I absolutely have to go to the Busy Thimble Quilt Shop in Litchfield again this year. It is the best shop for 1800's repros I've ever seen. We always do an all day antiqueing expedition and we both love to drive around the small New England towns and just look at the 300+ year old houses and walk through old cemeteries searching for Civil War graves. My nephew, James, is a landscape architect and has planned garden tours and a visit to the botanical garden for us. That is only a sample of the planned events for this trip. If I can remember to use my camera and not just carry it, I should have pictures to share in future posts.

  Sorry I can't show pictures of the Love &Valor quilts, but they are off limits till the book is published. It kills me to be spending nearly every waking minute sewing and I can't share them! :(  Speaking of waking minutes...I'm awake and I should be sewing!

 Keep stitching,
 Becky

3 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo Becky!!! Yea for you on Emeline's baskets!! It's killing me that we can't see this! And a new Civil War dress? Wow...can't wait to see THAT!!! Your trip sounds like a dream vacation to me - love your sis already and haven't even met her ~ but haven't met too many hookers (or quilters!) I haven't loved...and antiquing, old houses and old cemeteries...who could ask for more!! Happy Tomorrow! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to visit Dorr - I went last year when some west coast friends came to visit . . . . we are still talking about it *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea to dress in Civil War-inspired attire while doing your presentations. You'll have to post a photo of you in your new dress when it's done. Would love to visit the Busy Thimble quilt shop in person. Sounds like a wonderful shop.

    ReplyDelete