Sunday, August 21, 2011

Antiqueing in Maine.

   Some of the most fun I had in Maine was the day trips Sandra and I took antiqueing. She collects photos of dogs, dog tins, and dog figurines, but likes to look at antique hooked rugs (my Sis is a hooker!) and samplers. I collect sewing items, postcards of outhouses, and antique quilts, tops, and blocks.Ok, so I have eclectic taste! Sandra brought her Garmin, Melissa loaned us her Audi, and off we went! I saw Civil War Era quilts galore and even some earlier ones.
   This shop was one of our favorites. When in Maine, travel south on HWY 1 and you'll see 120 + antique shops. 








A beauty I spotted there...a little over my budget and not CW.

Here are assorted quilts I saw, was tempted, but didn't buy:

This baby quilt was an 1820 chintz, to die for and drool over, but definitely beyond my budget!

  I did buy some orphan blocks to add to my collection: I LOVE Poison Green. Theses are c1850-1860.


These are made with fabric using a "fugitive" purple dye. There were more, but they had already started to fade to beige. I bought the best ones.
At first glance, these appear to be the same pattern, but they're not. The cinnamon pink one has an inked signature, Fannie L. Rall.
I adore this little 1860's  doll quilt. It measures 9" x 13 3/4".

This doll quilt is silk, so I'm not sure how to date it, but it's very old. It measures 12 3/4" x 15 3/4".
  We went more than one day, so I'll share more later. I'm going to my Mom's this afternoon to surprise her with her birthday quilt (4/01/1923). I got it back from the quilter, Kym Ward, yesterday and sewed the binding on last night. It is gorgeous and I can't wait to see her reaction.

Keep stitching,
Becky




5 comments:

  1. What a day! Thanks for sharing your pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some yummy, yummy, quilts!! Wow! Wouldn't find the likes of those in any antique stores here in Nod!! Fascinating how you can date them! And wow...120+ shops in one area?? I wouldn't know where to stop - or where to end!! Can't wait to see your mom's quilt!! What an incredible gift....Happy, happy, Sunday Becky! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your travels look enticing and can't wait to see more pictures of your trip. And I hope we get to see your Mom's quilt soon also. So glad you had a good trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilts!!! Thanks for sharing. I in particular, love the basket quilt!!! What bold colors (I think I would like to make one!!) And the silk doll quilt is precious! Love the "birds in the air blocks". What a prize the signature block is!! Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to more!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, how fortunate you East Coast folks are to see such old quilts!! I hope and pray these storms don't blow you all away! Thank you so much for sharing these photos. I used to be able to go antiquing easily throughout VA, MD and PA those 15 years I lived in Northern VA. Moved to the PNW 7 years ago. It's gorgeous here, but we rarely see quilts dated earlier than 1870. The few that we do see that are earlier came West with the settlers after the Civil War. eBay has been my salvation for finding anything earlier since moving here. That and all the wonderful blogs that so many quilters interested in quilt history, too, are now creating. Keep sharing those photos and stories and good luck with your lecturing and research!!

    ReplyDelete