Monday, August 22, 2011

More Fun in Maine.

  Another wonderful place to go in Portland is Portland Architectural Salvage, 131 Preble Street. OMG!!! What a great place to find vintage doors, windows, plumbling, lights, furniture, fireplace mantles, garden sculptures,built-ins, etc. The building is huge with 3 floors of goodies packed to the rafters. Sandra and I couldn't believe it when we found an autopsy table (or embalming table) on the second floor! Honest! I took a picture on my cell phone, but don't know how to get it on my computer. Who would buy that?! I joked that it was the right size and height to use as a center island if you put a sheet of plate glass on top. I wonder if there's anyone weird enough to do that. They had the best sign hanging on a beam. It said " Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden!" Isn't that the truth?! I found a wonderful cabinet with glass on 3 sides that I wanted to stack antique quilts in. It was sold, but the buyer changed their mind. They have a "no refund" policy so they thought the owner would let me buy it. The trick is getting it to Iowa. It would have to be crated and the shipping would be hugely expensive. They are trying to work a deal with another dealer to haul it to me that will be at the same monster antique show they go to in Massachusetts every year in September. I'm anxiously awaiting word on that.

  It occurred to me that I haven't posted any pictures of Melissa's house. It is late 18th century and totally renovated.
The cobbled driveway...

Side view showing the kitchen and master suite addition...
Rear view...
Garden shots...
   You can tell her brother, James McCain, is a landscape architect and loves designing for her yard. I was always going to take inside pictures of her house, but never got around to it. Maybe my sister did and can send them for me to post.

  Here are the pictures of Mom with her birthday quilt. She was so thrilled and couldn't wait to have company so she could show it off.
The colors are richer than the pictures show. The light blue area is a French toile and the greens are poison green.
   Normally Mom hates to have her picture taken. Funny how she hurried to her bedroom when I said I wanted a picture!

   Here is one last photo for tonight. I bought this CW quilt at an antique show in Union, Maine. It wasn't even for sale, but I persisted and got it! It was made for a poster bed so the bottom corners are notched out. It was a real find and at a great price. It will be added to my presentation display. The colors are so vibrant considering it's age, madders, brown, and cinnamon pink.
  More to come! Keep stitching,
  Becky

4 comments:

  1. I want Melissa!

    :o)

    Love your mom's new quilt...and your new quilt!! I think I love ya Becky Girl!!

    Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful house and gardens! Your mom looks really happy with her new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like such a fun trip. I love all the photos of the houses and grounds and all of the quilts you've seen. It's nice to "meet" your Mom, too. Looks like she loves the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mom's new quilt and your fhotos...
    I love inspired Civil war quilt and sentimental legend.
    Bye to Spain!!!

    ReplyDelete