Friday, August 5, 2011

Oh, no!

I made it to Maine, safely, BUT... I was the first person my flight to reach baggage claim, even though I really, REALLY needed to visit the ladies room. The buzzer sounded, the conveyer belt started up and luggage started passing by. I had bought a new bright red, huge suitcase to pack extra items for my presentations so it wouldn't be hard to spot. Suitcase after suitcase went by and several red ones among them, but not a BIG red one. After several minutes of worrying, the conveyer stopped! What the heck!!! One other person, a young Asian woman, was still there. We looked at each other in disbelief. We waited and waited. And after ten minutes the conveyer started up again and a new batch of people came to collect their luggage. The same thing happened, the Asian girl and I were in shock, heck, I was in full panic mode! My sister was on a flight an hour ahead of me and was in the car with Melissa circling the airport waiting for me to come out to pickup. Sandy called me three times and finally told me to look for the claims department. They had me fill out a lost bag claim report and I left the airport in near tears. I had my carry on, but the only things in it were the Staffinger quilt, my notes, Vintage CW photos, my wig, and new hat. My niece is a seasoned traveler, flying every Week for work and she's A strong business woman, very level-headed and sensible. She talked me down off the ledge and assured me my bag would be delivered to me in Portland by morning. I had no toiletries, pj's, or underwear, so I slept in a pair of stretchy men's boxers she had and an oversized t-shirt. Luckily she had an unused toothbrush for me to use and off to bed I went, but got little sleep. I'm a worrier. I got up at 3:45 am to see if my bag was here, NOPE! Then I really tossed and turned the rest of the night. We all got up at 7am and still no suitcase! Melissa called the Boston Airport and found out they had it marked as DELIVERED! I would have started blubbering for sure if I hadn't known Melissa would think I was a baby, so I tried to stay strong. She was very insistent with the person on the phone and they called back in a half hour and said my bag was on a truck in NEW HAMPSHIRE!!! Ok, at least I knew where it was and it was coming. They delivered it at 11 am and I could shower, put on makeup and clean clothes! It was a miracle, at least to me. The UPS truck delivered all my display items in the afternoon, so all is right with my world...now.

Sandy and I went to Kennebunk and kennebunkport antiquating and wool shopping this afternoon. We stopped at a very small ancient cemetery outside of Biddeford, Maine and I got some photos I'll post later. Tomorrow we are going to The Busy Thimble in Litchfield (1800's galore)so I can get my big spending done early and know what my budget for the rest of the trip will be! Melissa is taking us on a tour of a Civil War general's home afterwards.

Sure hope the rest of the trip runs smoothly! I'll keep you posted (pardon the pun!)

Keep stitching,
Becky

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I bet you found Camp Wool! I haven't been in quite some time but all my woolie friends keep tellimg about all the changes! I only live 20 minutes from the place, but I think I know what will happen to my pocketbook when I get there, LOL. The Busy Thimble, found that one in April and I WILL be going back, so glad that your luggage found its way back to you. What was the date of you talk in Windham?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky....sounds like you had a crow-kind of experience....one of the many reasons folks refuse to fly with me anymore....So glad your luggage, at least, eventually showed up!! Can't wait to see the photos of the cemetery. And a tour of a CW general's home!!! Arghhh...!! You're just turning me all sorts of ugly shades of green!! Have fun - and enjoy for me too!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGH!! I would be in full panic mode also! I am glad it turned into "an all's well, that ends well" situation. Enjoy the shops!! I have never been to an East Coast quilt shop...let us know what it is like!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and had to comment! You are in my neck of the woods! I live in Gorham, ME. Let me know if you want any good little local shops to stop at.
    Tiff
    www.foldedgingham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete