Sunday, September 11, 2011

Didn't See that Train Coming!

   I gave my Civil War presentation to a lovely ladies' group at the LDS Church in Mt. Vernon, IA on Wednesday night. The facility was wonderful and I could really spread out my display over 5 banquet tables, various easels, and racks. The event was well attended, but mostly non-quilters.

   By the end of my presentation and following open forum, I had a dry mouth, as to be expected. After packing up and heading for home, I mentioned to Kym Ward, who had accompanied me, my throat hurts, I think I might be getting a cold. I stopped at Caseys and bought an orange juice to ward it off.  At the end of the 2 hour drive home my throat was really bothering me. I went to work Thursday, no sore throat, but now with a runny nose. By noon I was chilling badly and put on my jacket. I started watching the clock as I got worse and worse. I ached all over and my eyes and ears began to hurt too. I got home at 3:45 PM and laid on the couch. At 4:30 PM, Kayla stopped by. I barely could make it to the door. She wanted to take me to the ER, but I said I'd be ok, "I'm just getting a cold I guess." She went to the store and got me some 7UP for my extreme nausea and put a cold wash cloth on my forehead. My temp was at 102 d. She reluctantly left me for her daughter's volleyball game. Randy was on a bike ride with friends in Burlington and was running my route for me so he wouldn't be home till 10-10:30 PM. I couldn't sleep with the pain and nausea and I kept getting worse. My Mom called and panicked when she couldn't understand me, but knew I was ill. She called my sister in Texas who then called me too. She panicked and insisted I call for an ambulance. I hated to think of how much that would cost and I tried to convince myself it was just a cold, right? At about 8 PM I called Kayla and I think I only got the word, "hospital", out and she said, "I'll be right there!" She showed up with her husband, Scott, and they got me to the ER. I was incoherent and semi-conscious by then. It seemed like forever, but a doctor finally examined me, ordered an IV, blood work, urine specimen, nose and throat swabs, and chest x-rays. Scott and Kayla never left my side, bless their hearts. What wonderful friends! Even when they got hold of Randy and he showed up, they wouldn't leave me. I am so blessed to know them. After pumping me full of fluids and 2 rounds of anti-nausea and pain medications through my IV, and tests showing it was not bacterial, the diagnosis was an "aggressive fast onset virus." Can you say "understatement"?! I felt like I'd been hit by a train. They dismissed me at 11 PM with meds and orders of bed rest and plenty of fluids. I was happy to oblige. That's all I've done since then, until this afternoon. Now, I finally feel like I just have a cold. If you start feeling my symptoms, please get in bed and drink a lot! Don't try to tough it out. This bug is bad. The doctor said this wasn't even influenza, but I can't imagine that it would be any worse. I really hope I didn't expose all those ladies at my presentation or the kids at school to this.

  My internet was down for 5 days over Labor Day weekend and it about killed me. I couldn't check my emails, conduct business, or post! Our school dismisses early the Wednesday before Labor Day and we have 5 days off for Old Threshers. Our city is visited by about 100,000 people during this celebration of antique tractors, steam engines of all types, and teams of work horses. If you live in Mt. Pleasant, you either love Old Threshers and don't want to miss  a minute of it or you hate all the noise and people and leave town for the duration. We are in the first group. Randy and I love to go to all the flea markets in town and walk the Threshers grounds taking in all the events. Friends from Illinois come on Saturday every year and "antique" with us and then on Sunday, we go to Illinois with them to the flea market at Lake Argyle. We each eagerly scan the offerings looking for goodies to add to our respective collections. This year I added 3 old outhouse postcards, 1 needle packet, 1 doll quilt c1880,  a Civil War Era boy's velvet jacket and an antique doll trunk. Not a bad haul!

  I'll close with pictures of some of my purchases . The dealer who I bought the doll quilt from specializes in doll and child's quilts and will keep me informed of new acquisitions! She had several doll quilts I liked, but used my will power to only buy one. This little beauty measures 15 3/4 " x 26". I'm sure it was made to fit a particular doll bed. It is made of burgundy solid, white with blue hollow circles shirting, and white solid cotton fabrics. It is machine pieced and machine quilted.


                        This is a teal colored velvet boy's jacket, Civil War Era. Isn't it adorable?

And a view of the back...

   Here is the doll trunk loaded with some doll clothes and linens from my collection. The doll is Elizabeth, who I've owned since 1973. She has china head and hands and a leather body. She is wearing her original underclothes (pantaloons and petticoat) but I made the dress in 1973 as her original was very worn, though I did keep it. I will use the trunk and contents in my presentation display.




Thanks for visiting. Stay healthy and keep stitching!
Becky

6 comments:

  1. Sorry, you didn't miss the train wreck. Loved the trunk show and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. Your recent doll quilt find is a treasure. Lucky you! And I love the doll trunk, too. I'm sure that it will make a wonderful prop for your presentations. I'm sorry to hear you fell ill during your trip. I hope you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yikes, Becky!!! That sounds horrid!! And to come on so quickly and violently!! Thank goodness for good friend (and good meds!) Hope you're on the mend soon! Love your new finds - each and every one is so precious!! The quilt, the jacket, the trunk....I'll take them all!! Lucky you!!! We have what sounds like a similar festival in a nearby town - unfortunately, I didn't make it out this year....Guess 'tis true, I'm becoming a hermit!! Hope the day was good to you! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that fast onset virus sounds like something no one should get. I wonder what would have happened to you it you hadn't gone to the ER? Sure glad you are feeling better now! Love your recent finds, nice additions for your program material. Stay well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are better, just don't send that virus west, my way....cute flea market finds. I had a doll trunk just like that and sold it auction few years ago. Is there any pencil marks on it such as Naomi christmas or something like that. Wouldn't that be a hoot if it is the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's frightening! And I know that "it's not bad enough to justify a trip to the ER" feeling too well myself.

    ReplyDelete