Sunday, October 2, 2011

2011 Des Moines Quilt Expo

  I got home at 8;30PM from Des Moines last night. Kayla, Darla, and I were there 2 days and stayed at the Staybridge Suites. We had a great time at the Quilt Expo. I think attendance was down and there were less vendors than usual, but I think those who were there enjoyed it. There were beautiful quilts on display and tons of quilting wares to tempt the most frugal shoppers. I certainly did my part to help the economy. I'm very patriotic after all!
  I had hoped to find some 1800's orphan blocks  and I sure did. I made a huge haul at the show and a couple of antique malls. One of the most fun things at the expo was digging through the sales reps' samples at WV Quilt. Those things were like candy, costing $1 to $3 each. I found plenty to buy for myself and a friend who didn't go to the expo. My most exciting acquisition?...I bought an 1870 quilt from the Jean S Lyle booth, a little after the Civil War, but close enough. Actually, I had to put it on layaway, as it was a little pricey for me. Jean is very knowledgeable about antique quilts and I had a very enjoyable conversation with him. If I had more money, I would have bought several of his quilts. He has the real McCoys in his booth. I also bought an 1880 4-Patch quilt top with some earlier prints in it. Yummy!
  I had hoped to meet other bloggers there, but I didn't have much luck. I did meet The Farmer's Dotter (Brenda Weed) and she was delightful. I also met Lisa Bonegan, but her booth was packed with shoppers and we couldn't chat. I "almost" met Jan Patek. : ) She had just left when I got to her booth on Friday and her son was taking over for the remainder of the expo. He was fun and a very energetic salesman. Jan should be proud!
  I hope the economy turns around soon so we can continue to have the big quilt shows and expos. I've heard of a lot of quilt shops closing and it makes me sad. Sad for the owners and for the quilters who used to shop at them. It's important that we buy from those shops or we';ll have a lot less of them to go to. We can't take it for granted that they'll always be there for us. Please think twice before buying your quilt supplies from the big discount stores. Ok, I'll step down from my soap box now.
  I'll be busy the next week or so. I'm speaking to the Old Capital Quilt Guild in Iowa City on the 10th and in Delafield, WS on the 13th. I should have plenty to post about after those travels.
  I sure wish I didn't have to work tomorrow. I'd really like to stay home and have fun with all my goodies from the expo. Oh, well, I guess I need to replenish my wallet after this weekend and it's homecoming week at school. It should be hectic everyday and I'll have something to look forward to coming home for at night.

Here's my 1870 quilt ...

Isn't it a beauty? I can't wait to bring it home. I love the random basket block, which was made by the quilter's granddaughter who expected grandma to put it in her quilt. I especially like the poison green double sawtooth border.

  My friend, Julee Prose had a quilt hanging at the expo...Bizzy Bird Farm. I hope I got that right!
  She is an applique expert. The quilt is to die for.

  Karen Woten, another old friend from Ottumwa, Iowa won 2nd place for her applique quilt...

  I'll take photos of my goodies and post in the next couple of days. Till then, keep stitching!

Becky


8 comments:

  1. love the 1870's quilt!!! I love the brown and the
    double sawtooth border!!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you find, I could see a remake of that quilt! I do my best to support the local quilt shops, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fruitful excursion Becky....I'm so loving that 1870 quilt....Love its provenance and history....Looking forward to seeing your other treasures. Have fun at school this week! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for putting mine and Karen's quilt on your blog site. Love your new quilt find. Yes, there was less vendors and the crowd might be around the same from the last coule of years, which was between 21,000-25,000. Wished we had more time to talk but I stayed busy each day working in package check (which was fun) and knew you didn't have much time to visit and shop. later Julee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilts.....I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt! I love the little basket block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your blog and I'm looking forward to your other "finds". I don't remember which blocks you got from me, so I'm hoping you'll show them! I thought I put you on my favorites last night, but guess I didn't do something right! I'll try again.
    Brenda...the Farmer's Dotter

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite blog was the one where you talked about washing and ironing your underwear in a hotel in Boston. I realize that there was no quilting in that incident, just the perils of travel, but it does serve to illustrate the resourcefulness of quilters. Jane

    ReplyDelete