Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shhh! Can You Keep a Secret?

  When asked what I do with antique quilt tops, to quilt or not to quilt, I always say,"Don't quilt them! They are too fragile and it devalues them to add new work to them." Uh oh. I broke my own rule! The 1880's doll quilt top that I showed in my last post was partially made and I had the vintage fabrics bought with it to finish it. I thought it was so small, it could surely be finished and quilted. It would be so cute finished. I got half-way through the quilting and guess what happened. A brown polished cotton piece in the center "shattered." The brown dye used at the time  it was milled was harsh. Fabric with that dye, would over time, basically crumble, or "shatter." It looked perfectly normal when I started quilting, but obviously, it had never been handled or exposed to light. Those pieced blocks had probably been kept in a closed box or trunk for decades protecting them from wear. I should have known better. If it had been a full-size top, I would have followed the rules. Here's the problem...




See, right in the center, of course!

My solution...
 
A closer look... just don't look too close to my applique stitches!
   Lucky I had some of the vintage red circle fabric that was used in the blocks. Lesson learned; follow my own rules!!! Lesson to you; do as I say, not as I do!!! 

  Confession is supposed to be good for the soul. I confessed my quilting transgression to you, but it can be our little secret, ok?

Keep stitching,
Becky

9 comments:

  1. Too bad about the shattering. Your solution is perfect.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fine...but a lesson re-learned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we will all learn from you should we ever have the occasion. Great cover-up, no one would ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't tell a soul...Think of it this way - now you have an example to demonstrate next time you share that lesson... ;o) Great fix....Happy Sunday to you! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lovely doll quilt. I like it verry much!
    Greetings from Holland,
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it adds to the charm...as though a loving Mother patched her little girl's favorite dolly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your secret is safe with me, but I don't think it does any harm to the quilt either! Looks awesome still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find this very interesting. I have never quilted a vintage quilt top but have been tempted. I have heard that it decreases value to do so. I used to own a quilt made in 1876. It was done with a thick wool batt and was tied. I was so tempted to take out the ties and hand quilt it. I was advised by a quilt appraiser to leave it as it was. I ended up selling it eventually.

    ReplyDelete