Saturday, October 15, 2011

Treasures and Travels

  Last week was a busy one for me. I gave 2 Civil War presentations. The first was for the Old Capital Quilt Guild in Iowa City, Iowa. It is a large and very active group of quilters. I was fortunate enough to see the show 'n' tell portion of their meeting. Members shared some pretty quilts, but I was dressed in my Civil War costume and didn't have my camera on me to take pictures to share with you. Later in the week, I traveled to Delafield, Wisconsin, accompanied by my friend, Darla. We stayed overnight in the beautiful Colonial style home of Pam Quebbermann. We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know her and by bedtime felt like old friends. What a gracious hostess. We each had our own bedroom with lovely quilts made by Pam, and our own bathroom. My presentation for the Lake Country Quilt Guild was at 10 AM the next morning. They have a large membership and lots of activities going on. I was surprised to meet Barb Johnson, who is the sister in law of Robert Johnson (Christopher Staffinger's great great grandson) and the owner of Tea and Textiles, a quilt shop in Jefferson, Wisconsin. She treated us to lunch after the guild meeting.

   On our way to Wisconsin, we stopped at the Vintage Threads Quilt Shoppe in Dyersville, Iowa. It was featured in the latest issue of Quilt Sampler magazine. It was a lovely shop with something for every quilter's taste. If you're in the NE Iowa area, you'll want to check it out. Coming home, we detoured so we could stop in at Quilter's General Store in Rockford, Illinois. It is fantastic and I posted about it in an earlier post a few posts back if you want to see photos.

  Have you seen Barbara Brackman's new line of fabrics, Lately Arrived from London? It is gorgeous and when I saw the full line at Inspirations, in Hills, Iowa, I had to buy the fat quarter bundle plus 3 yards of one of the large florals in the line. Sorry for the picture quality. I took this at night and it doesn't do the fabric justice at all.


   I told you about finding a lot of orphan blocks to buy in Des Moines when I was there for the Expo, but I haven't shown you pictures of them. Here are some of my favorite orphans...
and...

and...
and, lastly...
I love them all! Here is a picture of an 1880's 4 - Patch quilt top I bought at the Jean S. Lyle booth at the Expo. It is a treasure trove of 1860-1880 fabrics.
A little closer look...

   Pam Quebbermann, our hostess in Wisconsin, had this wonderful 1880 quilt draped over the banister in the upstairs hallway. It has many Civil War Era fabrics in it and 1870-1880 fabrics as well. Someone had a great scrap basket! We had a lot of fun examining it, spotting a few fabrics that have now been reproduced, but many more that we wish would be  reproduced! 

A closeup of some favorite pieces...
 
   I passed the 100 Followers mark this week! I'm very excited about that. Thank you to all who have signed up. I'll try to keep you entertained and informed. I'm planning a give-away to celebrate this event. I bought some goodies at Quilter's General Store to add to some other goodies I already had for the give-away. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post the particulars on how to enter either tomorrow night or Monday. Check back then to enter. I'll draw the winner Friday evening.

Keep stitching!
Becky

9 comments:

  1. Oh boy - lots of eye candy in your post...really enjoy seeing all the vintage fabrics. Will have to add Tea and Textiles to my list of shops that should be visited!

    And - can hardly wait - Quilter's General Store is such a great place...our Liberty Ladies Quilt History Study Group was there earlier this summer - we all did quite well shopping!! :o)

    Sending greetings from the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so close, but yet so far away....One of these days I so hope to see one of your presentations. And are you properly licensed as an orphanage? Wowsers...that's a lot a blocks!! What captured my heart, though, was that quilt top from Jean Lyle of yours. Oh my....drool... Serious love. Hope you have a blessed Sunday....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those lovely blocks, are you planing to piece them into something?
    Congratulations on having 100 followers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the followers. I so wish we had more repro fans in this area...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 100 followers. I just added myself to the group. (I thought I already was in.)
    Thanks for the info about the Dyersville quilt shop. My mother lives only 15 miles from there, and I'll be taking a side trip to Dyersville the next time I head over for a visit.
    You found some wonderful orphan blocks. Do you have plans for them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how many triangles are in that last quilt. A ton of them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great purchase! Love those little blocks. The triangle top is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That 4-patch quilt is wonderful - love the fadeaway blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love those orphan blocks!!! The 4-patch quilt top is just amazing! Do you plan on quilting it? How lovely to see the 'real thing' with those wonderful antique fabrics in those quilts, they are very special!!!!! Congratulations on reaching 100 followers too!!!!

    ReplyDelete