Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Civil War Update

  I've been quilting every spare minute this past week. Only 2 1/2 blocks to go on Baby Kitty's Quilt. Yea! I thought I'd better take some time off to post though, since it's been a week. Yikes! Where does time go?

  Since I can't show my quilting progress, I'll share some Civil War history instead...

   President Lincoln proclaimed a naval blockade of all southern ports on the Atlantic seaboard and the Gulf on April19, 1861. The plan was to keep the Confederacy from exporting their cotton crop and from receiving goods from abroad. The Union bought or hired 200 ships to implement the blockade. The blockade was extremely effective, though some small , fast-sailing blockade runners made it past the larger Union ships delivering much needed supplies. Still, by the end of November, 1861, cotton exports fell to only 5% of what they were before the war. Southern commerce was dramatically affected. British mills, no longer able to get the needed cotton from the south, began to buy raw cotton from Egypt and India instead. Cotton exports had been the biggest part of the south's economy, thus the term, King Cotton. Now with a sharp decline in cotton exports, the Confederacy began to want for even the basic necessities. It would only get worse.

  I recently purchased this group photo taken in the 1860's. It appears to be a composite of photos for a girls' academy or maybe it's ladies involved in the Sanitary Commission. That's my best guess anyway. The back has a list of names. Maybe one of you will recognize a name.

This next pictures, bought from the same source, is identified on the front as "our teacher" and on the back as GSM Darcy, 1866. I wonder if he taught before the war or began a new career after surviving the fight.






This gentleman is identified as Chas. (Charles) K. An enlistment picture or "after the war" photo?

These two photos are of  sisters, but I can't tell if it's the same two sisters' photos taken a few years apart or is it 4 sisters in separate photos grouped by similar ages. What do you think?

In case I forget it or don't blog again soon, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope we all have plenty to be thankful for. I know I do. Keep stitching!

Becky

7 comments:

  1. Great pics, and thanks for the history! That was really interesting!

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again Becky. Can't ever get enough of Civil War era photos....I'd say the "sisters" are 4 different girls...Just my thought - two look very similar in both photos, but the one of the left in the right photo just looks too different from the two in the other photo to be one of them I think...Have a great Wednesday - and yes, a blessed Thanksgiving as well....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm voting four sisters. The photo paper is the same in both, so I think the photos were taken at the same time by the same photographer. The two older ones are dressed the same, so they might be twins? As far as the group picture, I recognize the name Laura Keene, though it certainly could be a different Laura Keene than the actress who was onstage when Lincoln was shot. As for Chas K, I think the photo was after the war. I have a similar photo of a great-grandmother with a cushion with fringe and it's from the 1870s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! And so interesting. I think they are 4 sisters. Their mouths are all different.
    I'll browse the rest of your blog now!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Aunt Bec! Have been catching up with your blog this rainy Sunday afternoon and enjoying it immensely. I appreciate your passion for quilting, your generosity about and enthusiasm for the work of fellow artisans, and how easily you laugh at life's absurdities. I'm convinced that if I lived near you, you'd have made a quilter out of me a long time ago. :-) I always know I'm in for a treat when I look up your blog. Thank you!

    Big hugs and love,
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely four different women. As for the clothing being similar, photographers used to keep a supply of clothing for their subjects as some had no "suitable" clothing for a formal (the only kind then) photograph. That could be the reason. I'm not even sure that any of them are sisters. My grandmother had her photograph with her best friend and another time with her cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The collage is of nineteenth century actresses. See:
    http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/10469

    ReplyDelete