Sunday, November 6, 2011

An Offer I Couldn't and Didn't Refuse!

  A couple weeks ago I received an offer I couldn't refuse from my friend, Jane's husband. Jane is a quilter and her husband is a biking friend of Randy's. They  retired from the southwest TO Iowa a few years ago. Why, you ask? Tim had ridden for the Air Force bicycling team on RAGBRAI for several years and he was struck with the friendliness of Iowans and it was centrally located to relatives. They were a perfect friendship match for us...a quilter for me, a biker for Randy.It didn't take us long to match up.

  Back to that offer! Tim likes to go to auctions and he likes to do "projects." Awhile back he had bought an old wooden ironing board at an auction, cut a large piece of plywood, attached it to the ironing board, added padding, and wallah, a great pressing board for Jane to iron large quilt tops on. I was impressed when I saw it. I only have a small fold-down ironing board on the back of the door in my sewing room. I had purchased plywood and had it cut to fit a large pressing pad I had bought with a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's a couple years ago. BUT, guess what...I had no surface to set it on in my sewing room. Bummer!!! It stood leaning against the wall behind the door unused for 2 years. We were invited to Tim and Jane's for dinner a couple Sundays ago. After dinner, it was only natural for Jane and I to migrate to her sewing area in the family room downstairs. She shared her quilts,works in progress (many and gorgeous) her stash acquisitions, books, etc. Tim told me he had bought another wooden ironing board at a sale and if I supplied the wood, he'd make me a pressing board like Jane's if I wanted one. IF?!!! I jumped on that offer immediately. Heck, I already had the 22" x 62" padded board already just needing a base! It can still hide behind the door when not in use, but when I need it, I can simply unfold it and stand it in the middle of my sewing room. Having a handy friend is really really handy! Here's pictures of my new treasure...
     The pressing pad has good cushioning and all the required markings necessary to keep tops squared up while pressing.


  The view of the back showing it's humble plywood underside. I attached a heavy duty Velcro strap to lock the legs in place when folded up...

Ready for action...

   I've found it also comes in handy when I'm marking a quilt for the quilting. It's a large surface and it keeps the top from sliding around when marking. I've had that problem when marking on a table top or counter.

   Those old wooden ironing boards usually sell cheap at auctions and sometimes yard sales. Keep an eye out for them and you could have a terrific pressing board too!

  I've had a 3 1/2 day weekend, thanks to parent teacher conferences Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, which I didn't have to participate in. I've nearly quilted nonstop and have the sore fingers to prove it! I am quilting on Baby Kitty's Quilt, one of the two hand-quilted quilts  for my book.  Randy is on a bike ride with Bike Burlington for what he says is "probably the last ride of the season before it snows." He's said that for the last three rides he's gone on. Funny thing is, he'll go on bike rides even if there is snow, just not as often. He goes on an annual New Year's Day ride, the Brr ride in February in northern Iowa, and the CRAMP ride (cold ride around Mt. Pleasant) in March! I don't know why he feels he has to make me promises about not riding. I don't believe them anyway and I don't even care that he goes! It's good for his health and he enjoys it, but, hey, if he feels guilty and like he owes me, well, that can come in handy when I want to go do something quilt-related! Heh heh heh. A nice little arrangement, don't you think?

  Hope you're finding time to quilt too. Keep stitching!
Becky

11 comments:

  1. I donated my MIL's wooden ironing board that I had inherited to our local thrift shop. Still kicking myself. Thanks for showing how valuable they are so others don't do what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome find! I'll be on the lookout now; thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmmm you won't believe what I saw THIS AFTERNOON at a yard sale and I did buy it because I hadn't seen this post! Oh well, I don't really have much room for a surface that large in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! My SIL had something similar and I was always coveting it....even just for project work....I'm curious about the marked pad you outfitted it with - it comes that way from JoAnn's? Guess I've never seen them....Have a great week ahead! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you like to make one guess what I continually move around in our garage, from one spot to another, moving it so we can get to something else? Yes, a lovely, sturdy, solid old ironing board. I think I need to respect it a bit more and make special plans for it. Thanks for a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The large ironing board is the best quilting notion that I own. Mine fits right on top of my regular ironing board so really no need to scour the country for an old wooden board, unless you just want one. :-) I have had mine for 8-10 years and I could really use a new cover, where did you find yours? Enjoy, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project...I'm heading out to a country auction on Saturday and will keep my eyes peeled! BTW...really like the stencil you are using to mark your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have one of the old wooden ironing boards. It had a scene painted on the main part of the board. I sold it years ago when we moved into a smaller house. I could have put it to use like you will with yours. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Becky,
    As I promised, thank you, thank you, thank you! I just received your giveaway today and I love it. I feel sorry for the first winner for not getting back to you but I am also very glad she didn't! The rulers will come in handy, the fabric is lovely and I now have reading material for night time. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very welcome, Granny Anne! I'm happy my prize found a good home. Use and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete