Friday, December 30, 2011

Tea Time!

  I hosted a Christmas Tea this afternoon for my quilting friends and their daughters.  We had a wonderful time partaking of 3 kinds of tea , numerous cookies, double chocolate muffins, cinnamon struesel bread, chex mix, and assorted chocolates...yum! Kayla and her daughter, Ashley,(also a quilter) and Darla with her daughters, Sarah and Victoria all attended. Jane and her daughter, Melissa, came last Friday for a mini tea since they were going to new York this week for a family Christmas.

The table set for Christmas tea...

Seated and ready for tea...those are tissue-wrapped party favors sticking up in their cups, ornaments I made using wooden spools...
And the sugar feast begins..



 
  It's always fun to have company when the house is decorated for Christmas. I enjoy my village and trees and light them even when I'm home alone, but it's nice to see them in someone else's eyes as well. This was the last chance to use my Christmas china for this year too. It was with a little sadness when I washed them and returned them to the hutch for another year.  Christmas 2011 is at last over and I'll undecorate this New Year's Day. Does anyone else get the after Christmas blues besides me? Home is just more "homey" at Christmas, isn't it?


  Kayla brought a newly pieced quilt top to show me. The Civil War repros are in delicious colors. She's backing it in a wonderful soldier blue print and trying her hand at machine quilting it herself. The pattern is Appalachian Trail by Sew Unique.


Here are some spool ornaments like the ones I made for them...these hang on my sewing room tree...



  Can you tell my pictures are better? Randy came through for me again this year and gave me the requested new camera for Christmas. It's a Sony Cyber Shot with 16.1 mega pixels, 10X zoom, 25 mm wide-angle lens, and 3.0" LCD screen. This is all "Greek" to me (remember, I'm technologically illiterate), but all I know is this is the same camera my Sissy has and she takes great pictures. This was the last present I opened (Randy handed them out) so I didn't get to take any Christmas pictures with it! Luckily, he took some on his camera, so our Christmas isn't lost to history.

  Alas, poor "George Washington" still isn't finished. I was quilting last night and I complained to Randy that I had expected to be finished with "George" and on to quilting on the quilt in the frame by now. Randy, being the ever so uplifting husband he is, said, "Well, Bec, you are getting older, maybe you're getting slower too." If I hadn't been hindered by the quilt on my lap and needle in hand, I swear I would have smacked him! I settled for a nasty look instead and assured him that that wasn't the case, it is just that I haven't had a lot of time to quilt this week except in the evenings. I've spent all this week cleaning out closets and switching winter clothes from storage and packing summer clothes in those newly emptied totes in the basement. I decided I'm definitely a "clothes horse", yea, I know, some of you already knew that. I took 2 car loads up to our local good will store and I promised I'd be back next week with more. In my defense, some of it was Randy's and Isaah's clothes. Ok, a small portion of it was theirs. I only admit this because some of my family reads my blog and they would correct me if I wasn't totally honest! Anyway, someone or a lot of someone's can get some good wear from those clothes. My New Year's resolution is that if I buy a new article of clothing, I have to get rid of an article of clothing. I might not save money, but my closets will stay neater and Good Will will love me. 

  Here's wishing you all a Happy New Year! I hope 2012 is good to you and you sew lots of new quilts. And as always, Keep Stitching!

Becky

7 comments:

  1. You tea party looked and sounds wonderful. The spool ornaments are super keen. And your resolution on clothing - a new one in, then an old one must go out - works for me. I started doing it the first of this year. However, I still need to think out some of my stuff.

    Happy new year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tea-party looks wonderful!! Great idea about the clothing thingy, I just keep adding and never seem to throw anything awayLOL!!! All the very best to you and yours for the New Year Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your spool ornaments.

    Yes, I get the after Christmas blues. My house seems so much cleaner and festive with my Christmas decorations up. I put mine up the week of Thanksgiving and will leave them up until close to the end of January.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, what a lovely tea party you hosted!! And I love the spool ornaments -- very darling. And a very hearty and Happy New Year to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spool ornaments! Think it is too late to make some...maybe for next year...

    Have a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running woefully behind in blogging my friend - just read your Christmas post about Randy's gift - so glad you got it in time, but don't you wonder what happens to those never-delivered goods? I've had several things that never made it here - and I so often wonder who's enjoying it.... Your tea party looks lovely - and, oh, yes, I definitely get the post-Christmas blues. I actually keep my Christmas decor up until at least mid-January (and this year it might likely be longer seeing as I don't know when it will come down) - It makes it feel more like a season, rather than just a day....Still listening to Christmas music too. Wishing you a wonderful new year filled with joy, promise, and blessing (and of course quilts!) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house looks like one that is a warm friendly place to visit. The tea party looks like it was a lot of fun. Congratulations on the new camera. What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete