Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Done at Last!

   I finished the quilting on "George Washington Tribute" last week. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There was more quilting in it than I first planned. I designed a large feathery motif for the 4 corners surrounding the center medallion. I backed the quilt with a blue toile from my collection.  I've decided to start using some of my toiles for quilt backs since I have so many. They are way too pretty to just sit folded on a shelf. They deserve to live in a quilt.

"George Washington Tribute"...


Closeups of the feather quilting...
The toile backing...
   I took the quilt to school to show the Home Ec teacher and the History teachers. They are always interested to see my latest quilts. They asked if I was going to hang it in the media center during February for George's birthday. I hadn't thought of that, but now I plan to display it there next month. I still have a Christmas quilt hanging there.

  A friend came back to school last week from Christmas break with a terrible cold she caught on vacation in Las Vegas. Much to my dismay, I caught it from her over the weekend. I called in sick yesterday and today. It's one of those colds that you're super tired but cannot sleep at least not for the first few nights. I'm starting to feel better though and will probably go to work tomorrow.

  I've been cutting charm packs from all of my Civil War toiles and pictorial fabrics to sell with my pattern, "Civil War Images". It takes 56 (4 1/2") squares of toile for the centers of the blocks. Since not all shops carry the pictorial fabrics and I've collected them for years, I thought I'd offer them to quilters wanting to make "Civil War Images". Wow, does it ever take a long time to fussy-cut hundreds of pictures. It sure has helped make space on my shelves. I've filled 2 jumbo sized (2.5 gal.) Ziploc bags with the usable scraps from fussy-cutting those charms. I'm toying with the idea of making a Log cabin quilt with all those toile scraps. I've never seen one like that, have you?

Here's a peek at the charms I've been cutting...

 
And...
 
  I can't believe it's January 10th and it's over 50 degrees out! I actually raked leaves on Saturday that I hadn't got to in the fall. That is definitely a first. Usually by now, the ground would be frozen and the leaves matted down from snow and I'd have to wait till spring for a chance to clean them up. I really wanted to sew on Saturday, but I knew I shouldn't waste the opportunity to work in the garden. It's a good thing I did, because by Sunday afternoon I was coming down with this cold. They always say, "Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today." I've always tried to live by that motto. And on that note, I'd better go quilt, because tomorrow I'll be at work and won't be able to.

Keep stitching!
Becky

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! what a great job you did on your George Washington quilt, the hand quilting looks so even, beautiful work!!!!
    How nice to have it hanging where everyone can appreciate it during Februray too!!!!
    Hope you get over your cold soon enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing quilt! I agree...use up that toile, it looks wonderful on the back of your quilt. It's a warm winter here as well...40's and 50's...hope we don't pay for it in March and April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your George quilt. Those blues are very eye catching in your pictures. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made such good use of the fabric portraits. It makes a unique quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "banner" quilting motif in your dark blue sashing, corner feathers also very nice. Your hand quilting is beautiful. I love this quilt...it doesn't hurt that it is blue, my favorite. I love the fussy cut stars at the center of the log cabins.

    In stitches,
    Teresa :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your GW quilt is an eye-catcher. It will make a beautiful display at your school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt!!! Glad you are feeling better. Isn't it fun to show off your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you feel better now..!!!
    The George quilt is beautiful...and the fabrics you show to...
    Have a nice day..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this quilt and oh how nice of you to display it at school for everyone to see. Beautiful hand quilting .
    beautiful fabrics , collecting those was not on my radar! happy new year
    and hope you are feeling better soon
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm blown away by how beautiful that quilt is - and I LOVE the toile backing! Have a great week!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quilt! The toile backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete