Sunday, April 1, 2012

On the Road Again...and Again...

    I've been a little absent from blog land lately. I've been on the road speaking. I presented for the Kountry Quilters Guild in Wellman, Iowa on March 19th at the Wellman Senoir Center. They have a very active guild and make a lot of charity quilts. I enjoyed a wonderful show n tell session which included a male guest quilter who brought a lot of his quilts to show. In fact, the Welcome Home Soldier quilt I shared a picture of from the Muscatine Quilt Show in my last blog was made by this gentlemen! He's really a very talented quilter.

    On the 23rd, I spoke to the ladies at the Wayland Mennonite Church in Wayland, Iowa. They got into the spirit and invited attendees to bring any Civil War Era quilts they had along for an impromtu quilt show in the church basement. It was lovely.They had some quilts for sale for their Mennonite Relief fund and I bought a wonderful antique red and white Baskets quilt. I certainly didn't expect that opportunity to present itself.

   The next day, Saturday, I traveled to Keokuk, Iowa for an antique appraisal day held at the Trinity United Methodist Church as a fund raiser. I had never had my Civil War soldier's quilt appraised so I made an appointment that afternoon. It was an interesting experience and fun to see all the other items people brought in. I'm still planning on getting it appraised by a professional quilt/textile appraiser when I can find one close by. The following appeared in the Daily Gate City newspaper (Keokuk.) I didn't even know I'd been photographed.

Becky Wright, left, of Mount Pleasant gives a bit of history about a quilt that was made by a Civil War soldier while he was recovering from a gunshot wound. Dr. George Morris, right, looks through family photos and other information gathered by Wright about the soldier at the Questers' antique appraisal fair Saturday at Trinity United Methodist Church, Keokuk.

  This past week I've been car shopping. I've never bought a new car myself before. Randy bought one when we were first married, but then we've always had newer used cars for me to drive. He always has a new demo to drive since he works for a large dealership. With all my speaking trips, I need a reliable car with good gas mileage and plenty of cargo space to (easily) load and haul all of my display items. Yesterday, I closed the deal and now own my very first new car. I was really excited and had a salesman take my picture before I got in it for the first time.
   Don't I look tickled? I told Randy I thought I should have one new car before I died and I plan on retiring in 5 years, so it was now or never! It's a 2012 Dodge Caliber. It may not be a Mercedes Benz or a Porche, but I couldn't be happier with it. (I always liked that Janis Joplin song about "Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?") The back seats lay flat and it's a hatchback so I can get all my stuff loaded with ease. I'm speaking way up in NE Iowa Tuesday night and I'm looking forward to my inaugural trip in my new ride. I'll be in Kirksville, Missouri speaking and teaching a workshop for a quilter's retreat April 14 and 15th so I'll get to see what kind of mileage I get. You know how people give their cars names? I think since mine is used for and paid for by my Civil War speaking and pattern business, it should have a Civil War name. I think I'll call it The General. If you see me on the road in The General you don't have to salute, a wave will do. Lol.

  I finally took pictures of the doll quilt I made a few weeks ago. Isn't it cute? It's 12" x 12".


  My son, Isaah, turned 29 on Friday and my Mom turned 89 today. We went to Illinois after church and took a lasagne dinner and birthday cake  to celebrate Isaah's and Mom's birthdays at her house.
I hope you have a great week ahead. I'll be on the road again...
Keep stitching!
Becky

1 comment:

  1. You have been a very busy girl and a lot of miles under your belt already!!!! I love 'The General', what a wonderful colour too, love it, a real ruby red, should be able to see you coming for miles LOL!!! Have a safe first trip, I'm sure The General will outdo himself!!!!! Love your little doll quilt too, very very cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete