Monday, April 16, 2012

There's No Place like Home!

   I  returned home Saturday night from my workshop/lecture in Kirksville, MO. I had a wonderful time. The retreat was a lot of fun. I drove down on Friday the 13th and of course, had a little glitch! There was a mix-up with my reservation at the B&B they booked me into. Someone had forgotten to log it into the computerized system. I stayed instead with Jo, a new quilting friend I'd met only a couple hours before when the committee took me out to eat at the Du Kum In. It is famous for it's " 2nd best cheeseburger in town" and that's exactly what I had...delicious as advertised.

  I was at the United Methodist Church by 7 AM to set up my display while the committee prepared breakfast for the retreat attendees. My workshop started at 9 AM, broke for lunch at 11:30, then I changed into my period costume and gave my presentation at 1 PM. After Q&A time, I changed back to my 2012 self and finished up the workshop. I had such a fun time with the ladies, I forgot my camera was in the car and never got pictures of them at work on their blocks! Darn it! The room was huge and packed with quilters cutting, piecing, and pressing all day long. The General and I were on the road home by 5PM. We made it just ahead of a storm system moving in that produced 72 tornadoes in Iowa Saturday night. Mt. Pleasant only got rain and not much of that. It's good to be home safe from traveling and from tornadoes. My heart goes out to those who suffered a loss in the Saturday storms.

  When I have a spare moment, I've been sewing these foundation-pieced blocks using scraps from my CW charm pack fabrics. I have 4 (2- 1/2) gallon size Ziploc bags full of those scraps too good to throw away.
A 3" stack of them.




This is how they look before  trimming...
Trim along edge of muslin.

A closeup look after trimming...


This is what the final block looks like...
 
 I got the pattern from a $2 bargain book at the Muscatine show...
 This is a really good book, full of colored pictures of quilts and patterns. It was published in 2001 and somehow I didn't buy it then. It was a lucky find.

The inspiration photo. Sorry! I scanned it upside down, but you get the idea! I chose red for the centers and border to better accent my CW fabrics.

  I have about 6 weeks till my next speaking engagement so I should have time for some just for fun sewing and quilting. That will be nice for a change. I just confirmed my airfare for my annual trip to Maine tonight. I will be there June 19-27th. If you are in the area surrounding Portland and would like to book me for a presentation for your shop or guild, give me a call or email me. I'm sure I could make the time between antique and sightseeing excursions with my sister.

  Keep stitching!
  Becky


2 comments:

  1. I have that book as well and enjoy looking through it periodically. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,
    Love those scrappy CW blocks! That book is a favorite of mine. I even accidentally bought a second copy of it so I have an extra copy! LOL! Glad to hear you didn't get caught in those terrible storms Sat. night. We were without power the entire night. Our power rarely goes, so we knew it was a bad one.

    ReplyDelete