Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kalona Quilt Show Part 2

   I've managed to catch a darn spring cold, Yuck. Didn't get much sleep last night and been tired and sniffly, drippy, icky all day at work. And, of course, with only 18 days of school left, I don't want to take a sick day if I can help it. I'll survive, but I'm not liking it. Grrrr. Sniff.

  Ok, enough grumbling. As promised, I'm posting more pictures from the Kalona Quilt Show. Sorry, there won't be much narration. I don't have the energy.

   This first quilt was Jane and Kayla's favorite. They both work with 30's fabrics a lot. We all agreed the sashing is what makes this quilt so special. The green is that 30's green I always call "kitchen green."...

Closeup of the sashing...
And in the corners...

Another 1880's pieced quilt. The sashing fabric looks orange solid, but it was a turkey red with tiny yellow flowers print. Very striking in person...

Another red and white beauty that could have been in the Century show, looked new, but dated 1880's...

  I loved this antique Feathered Star. The poison green print in the centers really popped in the red and indigo stars, Nicely quilted...

This Courthouse Steps Log cabin had really unusual colors that don't show well in the picture. Mostly prints with a random solid here and there...

Ok, I'm sorry this picture is lousy. I hate it, because this was an 1865 Nine Patch with great fabrics in it. See the setting blocks? That was an absolutely scrumptious red with gray to black toile-like design in it...very effective. And then, those totally unexpected glowing squares of chrome yellow. Not to mention the poison green print border. Madder prints, need I say more? I sure wish I had a good picture of it, but trust me, it was special...


  The Kalona show is held in an old school gymnasium, rather small, and the quilts are displayed in a maze-like set-up of poles and ropes. Some "alleys" are dead ends and some twist and turn back on themselves. You have to have your thinking cap on to find your way around and not miss any of the quilts. Some of the new quilts are patterns that you see every year from particular quilters, evidently their specialty or favorite design to make. I would have a hard time making the same quilt (only in different colors/fabrics every year), but I guess they know what sells well and it's worth it. Every year, though, you can count on 2 things for sure...outstanding breathtakingly beautiful applique quilts and gorgeous vintage quilts that any quilt collector would love to have in their collection.

  That's it for tonight. I just ran out of energy, gotta go vegetate in my comfy chair and quilt before bedtime. I'll post the rest of the pictures tomorrow night. Keep stitching.

Becky

7 comments:

  1. What stunning quilts! If only they could talk.....the stories would be amazing.Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts are amazing, and I agree with you about the flying geese quilt! Unusual and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts...that red and white looks like one from the front of a New England quilt book I have...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, hope you are soon feeling much better! Awesome quilts!! Love the Dresden Plate with the "kitchen green" stars! What a great setting idea!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are now feeling better from your cold! Thankyou for sharing such beautiful quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just love the dresden plate one. Can you email me a picture of that, or can I get it off your blog?

    ReplyDelete