Monday, July 23, 2012

A New Quilt Shop and meeting the Flower Valley Quilt Guild

   I had a wonderful time in Florissant, Mo last week with the Flower Valley Quilt Guild. They had reserved a room for me at the Hampton Inn on Dunn Street. A perfect spot since it was right next door to Helen's Hen House, a quilt shop I've wanted to visit for 5 or 6 years now. Boy, was it worth the wait! Kayla came along to help me and I promised her a trip to Helen's. The shop is in a mansion built in 1869 and has a large amount of Civil War repros as well as 30's, batiks, and other fabrics, along with notions, stencils, patterns and more. We had a few hours to spend before I spoke  Thursday night to a group of about 140 guild members and guests, what fun! I'm glad Kayla went with me to help navigate and run my sales table. She was a life saver in busy traffic and managing my sales. I was busy setting up my display before and answering questions after my talk. I couldn't have done it without her. Here are pictures of Helen's Hen House. If you get the chance, you need to check it out at 180 W. Dunn Rd. in Florissant. The welcoming and helpful owner is Christy Starr.




It gets even better inside...
 Owner, Christy, is the one behind the counter in the black tank top...









Kayla looks like an ant next to Helen's in the side yard. It is quite a mansion...
Here I'm happily holding my newly acquired loot from Helen's The bag looks small from a distance, hee hee...
  The audience was really an enthusiastic and  lively bunch at my presentation. Here are some of them...
Here I'm grimacing as I explain a facial wound Christopher Staffinger suffered during the Battle of Stones River...
Answering questions and discussing my display...

 The guild officers drew names for door prizes after my presentation...


   It was a fun evening. Kayla and I packed up and some of the members helped us load my car. We got back to the Hampton Inn at 11 PM! (After we stopped for a milkshake, of course.) It was hard to unwind, so we talked till about 1 AM. Not the smartest thing we could have done since we needed to get up early to go back to the church where I would teach the Winds of War workshop on Friday. I'll share that story and pictures tomorrow night.

Keep stitching,
Becky

5 comments:

  1. The shop looks wonderful! I'll have to try to visit some time. I would love to attend one of your presentations. Are you coming to the Dallas, TX area any time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been at this shop twice on my way down to Paducah. I really enjoyed this shop for the history and we ate at the barn next to it, food and pie was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great crowd for the lecture. Guild members were in awe of all the quilts that were on display. Your lecture was just the best, I'm so glad you got the opportunity to visit us.

    I'm a regular at Helen's Hen House, I belong to a Civil War Quilting Group there. The shop is known for their large selection of civil war fabrics. The staff is just the best also. If you're in the area you need to stop in and visit them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great shop! Love your display of quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post and a fabulous house!!! Wow! nothing like that quilt shop around these parts LOL! what a shame, I'd have had a field day in there for sure.....
    Looks as though you had a really good turn out for your lecture - have you ever thought of bringing yourself to Australia? I guess a girl can dream......

    ReplyDelete