Sunday, July 29, 2012

Nose to the Grind Stone!

  As promised, I've been keeping my nose to the grind stone the last few days. I've sat at my computer drawing and writing the first 2 patterns in my Love & Valor series. They go to the printer tomorrow. Let me tell you, 8-10 hour days at the computer does not make me a happy camper! It does make me happy to get 2 patterns done though. The sore shoulders, lower back, and tired eyes are almost worth it. I really want to get them all on the market this fall, but they won't make it to Fall Market, darn. I do have some exciting news, though; the movie, Love and Valor, based on Charles F. Larimer's book, is scheduled to appear on Virginia Public Television in the near future. The video will be offered for sale during the show, as well as my L&V patterns! Hopefully, other public television stations across the country will pick it up too. That definitely motivates me to get them ready. I will start with seven and if they are popular, I have others for the series in the planning stage.

  To keep my spirits up while toiling at the computer, I've taken little mini sewing breaks to paper-piece some tiny Log Cabin blocks. They are so cute. I have no plans for them, but they're fun to make. Maybe I'll sew them into a doll quilt. Speaking of doll quilts, the mailman has been good to me this week. I received 2 more doll quilts via mail.

On Tuesday...Isn't this one nice? It's from the 1930's and measures 20' x 20".


 This one came the next day.  A simple 4-Patch on point c1900-1910, with some repairs made in the 1930's (based on the fabrics appliqued over the worn patches.) It has a neat homespun blue/white check binding. It is 20" x 21".
 
   I don't think I shared these with you yet. They came a few weeks ago while I was busy getting ready for my Florissant, MO trip. This c1930's Periwinkle is an eye popper with all that red, no quilting, just backed with muslin and front and back edges turned in without binding. It is 18" x 22 1/2".





 This c1880-1900 Nine-Patch fits perfectly on the large walnut doll bed I got in New Hampshire this year. It is 14 1/2" x 19 1/2". The back is pieced of several pieces of homespun in charcoal/white and tan/white.
   I made a ticking wool-stuffed mattress for the bed the day this quilt came. No pillow yet, but Kathleen Tracy posted a great tutorial on making a doll bed pillow and pillow case on July 24th. I intend to make one using her directions. Thanks, Kathleen!

  Ok, that's the end of my break for this evening. Back to work! Keep stitching. I'll be stitching again soon, I hope.

Becky

4 comments:

  1. I'll keep an eye out for that movie Love & Valour, it'll probably be a while before I can get a copy of it, it always takes ages to get Downunder! I remember it took ages to get a copy of The Conspirator, which was just fabulous! Look forward to seeing your patterns too! Love your little Doll quilts too, they are just so darn cute!!!! Take lots of breaks and do some stretches when you have to do long stints at the computer!!!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the little quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really love to see that movie. I didn't see it listed on the local PBS station, but will try to keep my eye out for it. Congratulations for having your blocks up for sale during the movie!! That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little red & white quilt! It's just stunning!

    ReplyDelete