Friday, December 21, 2012

Snow days! What's a Girl Gonna Do?!

   Well, this blizzard certainly wasn't expected! We were going to school a full day Friday; then off for Christmas vacation... at least that's the way it was on our schedule. Mother Nature had other plans. We had a blizzard on Thursday...no school...SNOW DAY! Today everyone is digging out...no school...SNOW DAY! Well, of course, I did what any respectable quilter would do with unexpected free time. I quilted!  I also did laundry, made homemade chicken noodle soup, painted the family room, and cleaned a closet.

  I drafted a new pattern for a pieced tree block...


 Here are two more little quilts I made this week, ready to be quilted. I've already made and given two other away.






Here is a little quilt I made for Connie, the friend who cuts my hair...




The MPCSD librarians had a Christmas party last week. Here is Val holding her little quilt I made for the gift exchange...




    I have 2 Christmas quilts I made for my son and daughter years ago that I decorate with every year. The first is "Izzy's Snowmen" ( a 9-Patch and Snowball variation) made in memory of Elizabeth in 1993. I was working on the blocks and still collecting snowmen fabrics before she passed away, so she never got to see the finished quilt. She had a huge collection of snowmen, one of them is engraved on her headstone along with her likeness.


  The quilting...
The border...



Isaah's quilt, "A Tennessee Christmas" ( Tennessee Waltz pattern) was made in 1991 when he was 8 years old. It's sewn from assorted Christmas fabrics. He had a twin bed back then, so it's smaller than Izzy's. He still enjoys it now that he's 6' 4" and it doesn't cover him as well!
 The quilting...
The border...

   I'm putting up the family room Christmas tree this afternoon. Isaah is coming home tonight and if it's not up, he'll give me heck! Three trees upstairs won't be enough to appease "Mr. Tradition", you see. I'd better get moving. Keep stitching and Merry Christmas to you all!


           Becky

8 comments:

  1. I just ran into your blog, and am enjoying reading-beautiful quilts in this post-Merry Christmas
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy seeing your lovely quilts Becky. I was particularly interested in the Tennessee waltz quilt. I have never seen this pattern before and also my Aunt used to play this on the piano when I was little and she taught me the song.
    Thankyou for sharing, this post was a pleasure as always.
    Wishing you a very happy holiday, with good health and much happiness for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge snowman fan too. Loved seeing all your quilts, the little quilt Val is holding is adorable.
    Thanks for sharing the stories with us.
    Merry Christmas and enjoy ever minute of this holiday season.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love those Christmas quilts!!!! It's been an ambition of mine to make a Christmas quilt, but so far I haven't quite got it together yet LOL!!!! Have a safe and wonderful Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your TN Christmas. I am from TN, have always wanted to make TN waltz pattern, saw Brenda Lee sing (TN Waltz) live as a teenager, and saw Amy Grant sing TN Christmas live a couple years ago. If i made this quilt, it would hold so many memories and could become a "tradition" for my family. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gi quilt...You should definitely make a Tennessee Waltz quilt! Do you know that you are a "no reply blogger" so I couldn't answer you by email. I'm a wanna be, wish I was from Tennessean! My ancestors were from TN and many current 3rd cousins, etc. live there still. Heck, you may even know some of them.

      Delete
  6. Your Christmas quilts are just beautiful. I haven't seen the Tennessee Waltz pattern in awhile, and I love yours made in red and green. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these quilts! I purchased Christmas quilts to put on our beds during December, but known as nice as what you have created. Of course, homemade is the best! Do you hand quilt the background or use a machine? My mother-in-law would take her tops to be quilted on a machine to the bottoms. Your stitch work is beautiful!
    Blessings from Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete