Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Baby Jane is Born!

    My passion for Dear Jane runs hot and cold, I'm ashamed to admit. I found I'd made a duplicate block, Row B-4. I liked it so much, I decided to make 8 more for a little doll quilt. I made those eight blocks, laid them out with the other one in 3 rows of 3. Hmmm, the blocks were too big (4 1/2" square) to look right for a 12" finished doll quilt. Ok, I told myself, sew only seven more for a 4 by 4 row doll quilt. I had fun choosing each Civil War fabric for those new 7 blocks, each one must be special, because it would only be a 16 block quilt. Each block was a treasure, in my eyes, at least. I laid those out in the 4 by 4 set. Hmmm, Now it looked too big for a doll quilt, but not big enough for anything else either. You guessed it. I decided to add another 9 blocks for a 5 by 5 set. More fun fabric selecting and sewing ensued. I loved those little blocks! I sewed the blocks together into rows and then the rows into the 5 by 5 set, stood back and admired the top. Hmmm. I loved it, but wouldn't it look yummidy with a special border, I told myself. I designed several borders in my head and slept on them overnight. The next morning I knew just what I wanted to do. It's now a happy little quilt in my hoop being lovingly hand-quilted and will serve no other purpose than to please me and hang in my quilt studio when said studio actually gets built! Here is a picture of  "Baby Jane B4" (top only)...

  I see now that I should have cropped and zoomed in so you could see the fabrics better. My bad!
Now that I got B-4 out of my system, I'll get back to sewing new DJ blocks. Jane, my friend Jane, not THE Jane of Dear Jane, has been very busy sewing her DJ blocks while I was doing 25, B-4 blocks. She has sewn ALL of row 1 and row 2 as well! And here I thought I had a comfortable lead on her!!! Doesn't it remind you of the story of the tortoise and the hare? I dawdled and she nearly caught up with me.

  No sewing tonight though. It's our high school boy's last basketball game of the season before the district tournament. They are rated #1 in the state in Class 3A. We won at state last year.

   I'll share the rest of the blocks from Row 1 for now. I showed 3 of them in my last post.

A-1,2, &3...




A4,5, &6...
A7,8,11, &13...
Some of these are ones I did in 2007 but, A-11 and A-13 I did last week.

   I better go and support our team. It's senior night and I really enjoy seeing the parents recognised and the boys having to tolerate hugs and kisses from Mom's in front of the crowd. I know they secretly like it, but teenage boys have their reputations as tough guys to protect, you know!

Keep stitching!
Becky




7 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice when something unexpected gets made and it turns out so well!! I love the border variation too, adds a nice dimension to the quilt!!!! Your DJ blocks are beautiful, I still haven't started, except for one test block and that was a couple of years ago, you and your friend are streets ahead of me LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great little quilt love those fabrics you chose! sure sounds like you had a lot of fun making it and isn't that what its all about!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little 5x5 B4 quilt is wonderful! It's so bright and joyful and geometric that it looks modern. How fun to find yourself sewing and designing and unable to stop yourself. Just look at what you have! You lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Your little quilt is lovely and makes me happy even thou it isn't on my wall! I hope your mom night went well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did mean t o mention that you are incredible for even beginning a Dear Jane! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun blog post! Your writing and your sewing and your attitude is so good! And the heading of the blog is marvellous, did you make it yourself? I'm so looking forward to the Lincoln movie... If you take a look at my blog, you may see that I was working on Dear Jane Quilt a couple of years ago, and now I do want to go on. Maybe this was the kick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. I do appreciate all your work and your patterns are so unique. I have a small quilt shop in our cabin I hope to open again in March and I do have 1800 Reproduction and some 1930 Vintage fabric in it. I longarm...but our sons and daughter are slowing writing a novel using letters from their ancestor who was in the Union and died in Atlanta, he sent many letters to his sister and was a prolific writer....his letters were at Mich State and our youngest son go permission to copy them a few years ago....now they are putting tons of work into the novel, to be correct; all are history buffs...but I offered to put in some quilts....ones that would tie into the battles where he was at,etc.....if they get the novel together, can I ask you for some help with patterns, etc....we have the letters to quote from....I am very excited. I would LOVE to sew dresses for strollers and use my fabric too in that fashion besides quilting, right now I am a grannie with ALOT of fabric!!! (long story)....Thanks and God Bless!!! Karen at inthesewingbasket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete