Sunday, April 21, 2013

Big News at Breakfast Club!

   If you already have the Spring/Summer 2013 issue of Quilt Sampler, you won't be surprised to hear that Inspirations quilt shop in Hills, Iowa is a featured shop! Some of my Orphans of War samples are pictured! On page 110 mine are the 5th, 6th, and 7th quilts from the left hanging on the wall, Hardtack & Coffee, Eulalie's Doll Quilt, and Emeline's Garden Baskets. On page 113, my Jacob's Cot quilt is identified. Yea!  

   Saturday was Breakfast Club, a monthly event looked forward to by a large group of loyal customers at Inspirations, but this Saturday was extra special. We've all been anxiously awaiting the next issue of Quilt Sampler as Nancy had shared her news with us about being featured. A huge turnout of quilters were on hand to congratulate and celebrate Nancy's success. She shyly autographed copies upon request and graciously gave all well-wishers a free fat quarter of their choosing to add to the fun. At 9 o'clock sharp though, Nancy hosted Breakfast Club as usual, but maybe with a bigger smile on her face than normal and who could blame her.

   I've mentioned Inspirations and Breakfast Club many times in my posts. It is always such a good time of laughter, conversation, and sharing of ideas and quilts. The show n tell was exceptional this month. I actually remembered my camera and surprisingly remembered to use it! Here are some of the beautiful quilts shared this month. Unfortunately, I don't know everyone's names, but I know a few.

   A new group, known as the Sable (stash accumulated beyond life expectancy) Club, the last few months have been making Blind Man's Fancy blocks. There were three quilt tops made from them shared with us...

Dawn Eckridge made  this one...


Bonnibell's...




                                                                      Sandy's...

    Sandy makes a lot of the samples for Inspirations.

  This lady had a very impressive 8 Point Star quilt made of batiks in rich jewel tones...

  This quilter made a quilt using tons of tiny 3" or 4" Bow Tie blocks, adorable!


Didn't catch the quilter's name, but her quilt is called Earl Grey. Isn't it graphic? It will hang on the stairway wall of her son's new home.


This quilter wanted our opinion on whether to add a border to this already gorgeous top. We voted a unanimous, Yes!

Jo Betts shared her wonderful Irish Chain done in red, tan, and Japanese toile. Yummidy!


Kayla showed her 3 gorgeous finishes...





Here, Nancy is giving Kayla the tickets she earned for the finished quilts. One for each 18" or less item, 2 for quilts up to 48", and 3 for large quilts. The tickets go into a drawing for prizes in June (?)


This quilter finished a quilt her mother started years ago. Nice finish, huh?


This lady insisted she wasn't a quilter! She appliques these quilts using her embroidery machine. They sure looked like quilts to me and everybody else too. I hope she keeps "not quilting" more of these.  : )


A quilt made from a kit sold at Inspirations made of batiks...


Dawn Eckridge made this charming "Houses and Trees quilt.

Jane Messer shows a beautiful quilt and explains hos she makes a two sided binding so it's one color to match the top and another color to match the backing fabric. Wow!


This Waves and Sailboat quilt made me miss Maine!


Linda Hubbard shared her wonderful patriotic piece, Pledge of Allegiance and told us she thought it was appropriate to share after the horrific events this week in Boston. We certainly agreed.
   I finished quilting Baby Jane B4 and bound it Friday night to show, but I didn't turn the camera on myself, so you'll have to take my word for it!

  Be sure to get a copy of Quilt Sampler and better yet, plan a trip to Inspirations and any of the other featured shops you can get to. I know I will. My next project is to hand-quilt March on Cold Harbor; then get to writing the pattern for it. I've already written the story for the back cover. I hope you had a fun weekend too. Keep stitching! 

Becky

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time by all....would like to go some time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time. Thank you so much for remembering and using the camera - lovely show and tell! Love the Sable Group's name (I could qualify for that one!!) and luuuuurve their quilts! Thanks for the heads up on the magazine. I shall track one down and check out your contributions! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful quilts!!! I do like the Tree of Life quilt top, I plan on doing a few of them myself, I've always loved them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come! The Breakfast Club is such a good idea. So much sharing. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of the quilt projects. Glad you had your camera and remembered to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your quilts getting coverage in QS, Becky! And thank you for all the quilt eye candy today! Gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a talented group! It was fun seeing all the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What inspiring quilters you have in your group! I too wish I could join! I'd never want to leave!!! What beauties, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the Blind Man's Fancy one of your patterns? So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete