Thursday, July 11, 2013

Progress!

  We've been at Mom's 6 weeks already. It will probably be another 6 weeks till we move in our house. There have been a couple of glitches and we're behind by 2 weeks. The basement is finished though, so I see light at the end of the tunnel! The modular comes on July 23rd at 7AM and will be set with a massive crane by noon. I'll get to do a walkthru then. Randy will be on RAGBRAI that week so he'll miss seeing it set. I wouldn't miss it for the world. In the meantime there are lots of details to iron out and decisions to be made. It's taking will power for me not to drive to Nappanee, IN to see my house, sitting there finished, and waiting to be my home!

   Here are some photos of our basement (exciting NOT, I know, but bear with me please!) See my nice big 4' by 4' egress windows. That's my quilt studio in its infancy.


Here they are from the outside. (OK, so they are really only holes in the wall at this stage, but they will have big beautiful windows in them soon!) And I'll be inside quilting!

Here are 2 of the cement crew thru my studio window. The one squatting gave me grief for taking his picture. I told him that anyone wearing a 4" long BRAIDED goutee had to expect to have his picture taken.


   Back in November when we bought the lot, I told people we'd be sitting on our front porch watching the fireworks this year. Randy couldn't believe I insisted on driving 50 miles to sit in lawn chairs on a pile of dirt next to the basement to watch fireworks. I told him it would be a good memory someday! The bugs only ate us a little. :)
 I've had 3 speaking engagements in the past month. I got home last night from Montezuma, Iowa, where I presented to the Montezuma Piecemakers Quilt Guild. I think they enjoyed it and I know I did! I spent the night in the lovely home of Barb and Gene Long.  Her quilt studio was the first room I saw. It's 28' x 30'!

   Another view. She puts the pool table to good use as you can see. She had the President's Wives blocks laid out on it.


    She is a longarm quilter...




    I had a beautiful guest suite all to myself...


   Their children are all grown and have families....except for Lucy...

                                           She was adorable and I contemplated kidnapping her. :)

  I stopped at the quilt shop in Montezuma before I left town. I'm so glad I did. The ladies there are so friendly and their shop is large and well-stocked. I should have taken pictures. :(   I'm happy to say that they are now selling my Orphans of War patterns at Three Sisters. Stop in and check out their shop!


  I'm making 2-3 trips to Mt. Pleasant every week to be involved with the house building and run errands. I still have a lot of time on my hands. I've been doing some painting at Mom's to get her house ready to sell. It's not easy for her to leave her home, church,  family & friends, but I think she'll be happy with us. She'll make new friends, have a new room to decorate, a new church family, and of course, Randy and me to put up with! she'll be fine.

  Still not sewing or quilting, but busy and making progress! Keep stitching!

Becky

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been busy despite having time on your hands! What a great basement space, you won't know yourself when you get it all set up!!! Barb's sewing space is just wonderful too, so much room, and Lucy, well!, I could take her home as well, such a cutie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how exciting, we used to live in the next town over from Nappanee, it was called Wakarusa, loved living there.....but was happy to return home to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your basement dug takes me back 40 some years ago when I said to my Hubby to be "At least the hole is dug". Keep sending pics of the build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My..... a new quilt studio in the making!!!.....clapping.....clapping

    Staying with Mom for 12 weeks........not clapping......not clapping (ha)



    ReplyDelete