Friday, July 26, 2013

We have a House!

   After months of planning, designing, and waiting, our house is here! After only 3 1/2 hours of sleep (I spoke at the EIHQ guild on Monday), I arose at 5 Am Tuesday, July 23, and was at my lot at 6:45 AM. My house was sitting on two flatbed trucks waiting for me.





  A 70 ton crane was standing by to transfer the house halves onto the foundation. A small group of family and friends were on hand to watch.






It seemed to take forever, but they finally started to set the first half...


The swinging it into position was scary to watch!




   The first half was lowered with precision on the first try! The crane operator is a master at his craft. That's Kayla, taking time off work to share the experience with me. Such a good friend!



 The front half was soon to follow...






Then the roof was lifted and secured...




    By 10 AM, we were given a tour! I was the first one in, but here is my long-time friend, Michele Genck, getting a hand in by our builder, Dwayne Liechty. We came in the back door because it was only 4 feet off the ground, lower than the front. We need some serious grading done.


    I was given the keys. Don't I look thrilled? I'm standing in the kitchen in front of what will be the basement stairway.

    I'll share a few of the room pictures, but keep in mind, it's not finished and full of construction debris. It still looks like "Home, sweet home", to me though!

  A step in from the front door..
   Another step and a view thru the archway into the kitchen...
 My appliances in boxes, darn!
 And my kitchen! :)



 I love my laundry room too! I have a deep laundry sink. I'll probably use for potting plants and dyeing fabric!

   Dwayne misunderstood me and stepped right in front of the washer dryer area I was trying to photograph...



  Living room. Guess what goes on this wall! My mantel! It will nearly fill the angled wall.


   And a few of the master bedroom...




And master bath...
 2nd bathroom...
 Mom's room...


  My pantry is big enough for company, Michele. and my boss and good friend, Angie Brauns proved this to me.


  This horrible picture is the only one I took of the house. It was afternoon and I was facing the sun, sorry! I'll definitely be taking a better one soon. The missing siding in front is where the garage will be and there will be a front porch soon too.



  To conclude, I'll share a few photos from my Marion, Iowa trip. Here are the ladies from my workshop for "Hardtack and Coffee"...

 Their finished blocks all shown together...
   My display at the American Legion Hall in Marion where I spoke at 9 AM and 7 PM to the EIHQ Guild. The workshop was from 1 to 4 PM. What a fantastic guild they have there. Lots of talented quilters and such fun to be around. They have lots of charitable activities they participate in.



   Thanks for stopping by and taking the tour of my home. As more gets done and building debris removed, I'll take more photos to keep you updated. Until then, keep stitching!

Becky

15 comments:

  1. Hoe exciting! I was particularly thrilled, as here in England, houses that can be moved in this way are very rare!
    I bet you just can't wait to start making it home. It looks very smart and spacious and I can imagine your mantle in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats with the new home!!! You will turn it to a lovely house...and the blocks are already looking amazing on that fabric. Greetings from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really looked like an exciting day! I'm amazed that the appliances were still in boxes, but the hanging light fixture was attached. Hopefully it won't be long until you are all settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new home. I know you will make many happy memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah, hurrah!!! So happy for you!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to see your house arrive and get set into place. More fun that watching it go up board by board, nail by nail. Hoping you are in it real soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. You must be very excited.LOve the tour you gave us.Hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed your talk at EIHQ last Monday night. Congrats on your new house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always so amazing to see houses go up like this! Here in Britain you can't get a mortgage on a timber house, its senseless when good quality homes can be made this way. Enjoy the fresh canvas to decorate, it must be so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a thrilling day, Aunt Bec! I can easily imagine how happy and excited you were. A dream come true, indeed. Now I can't wait to see photos of the house when the finish work is done and all of your collections and things in place--especially your quilting studio. Congrats on the house arriving and big hugs for you and Randy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Certainly an interesting way to see your home come together!! What an exciting transformation from the truck to the house site!!! Looks to be nice and roomy too, especially love your walk-in pantry, I just love that idea!!! When I was a little kid my parents first home had a walk-in pantry and I used to love to hide in there LOL!!!!
    All the very best in getting all the finishing touches together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting!!! I'm sure you will have fun finding new spots placing your quilts and special treasures in your new home!

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing blogs you have guys!! Keeps the ball rolling….. civil war sword for sale

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting. Your home is looking beautiful and I can not wait to see it all finished

    ReplyDelete