Monday, November 17, 2014

Sure Signs of Winter: Snow & a Quilt in the Frame!

   Ugh! Winter is here in SE Iowa. I hate it more every year.  We had our first snow on Thursday, more on Friday. Temps are in the 20's and 30's for daytime high. Yes, I know I'm whining. Sorry. This is about 6-8 weeks ahead of when I expect or want snow, usually Christmas day is about time for me.

   I like two things about winter though. The first is sweaters. I love the feel and warmth of sweaters and own quite a few. The second and best thing I like/love about winter is a quilt in the frame. Nothing better on a cold winter's day than to be sitting at the quilt frame watching the snow outside. I put my Civil War Generals quilt in the frame on October 28th and have been hand-quilting on it every moment I can since. I rolled it 4 turns last Sunday, the 9th, and am ready to roll it again tonight or tomorrow, so I'm making good progress. It always gives me a great deal of satisfaction to roll a quilt. My frame was custom made for me by my Uncle Jack about 30 years ago. It has a reach of 20", just what I can reach to quilt from one side of the frame. I like it because it takes up less room and I usually tuck it up to the back of the couch in the family room so I can quilt and watch TV with Randy at the same time. I have two sets of poles, one for up to 104" wide quilts and one for up to 60" wide, which is perfect for the 54" square baby quilts I like to make. I never make any quilt wider than 92" though, which is fits our queen-size bed.

  Civil War Generals on the frame ready to begin hand-quilting.
  
 My favorite tools for marking and hand-quilting.

  Some closeup pictures of the first quilting...



I bought a Civil War Era Bear's Paw quilt from the Jean S. Lyle booth at Des Moines Quilt Expo this year. It was in pristine conditiion, except for a few small brown spots on the back.


  Here's a closeup of a block with a madder plaid.

  I had my yearly physical this morning, so I took the morning off. I had some time before I had to go in to work, just enough time to write a little post. Now I'm off to school. I hope you have a wonderful winter's day quilting. I plan on spending a few hours at the frame to night.

Keep Stitching!
Becky

9 comments:

  1. What a great post! Your quilting looks wonderful! I really like the grid behind your border feathers. I use the same thread and needles as you :0) The Bears Paw quilt is fabulous. That green is from the civil war era? Wow! The quilting in it is lovely as well - I bet the texture of it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a lovely job of hand quilting the Civil War Generals quilt, it'll feel wonderful as well once it's all done, hope you get completed by winters' end!!!! Just love that gorgeous Bears Paw quilt too, gorgeous....looks great on the bed!!!!! I have to admit snow in winter does not sound too inviting.....but as we have been sweltering in high end 30 to early 40 degree Celsuis temps, a little snow would not have gone astray last week I can tell you LOL!!!! I think we're in for a very hot summer down here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ! It's just as cold here in the North east and I am looking forward to quilting the cold away !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have a similar quilt frame and think it's great as I can prop it up against a wall when not working on it so it isn't in the way:)
    Keep warm and keep stitchin':)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and fabrics--Civil War fabrics are my favorites. Being a southern girl I'm not sure I'm designed for the cold Iowa winters where the wind never stops blowing. Quilting will help the winter days go faster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky, Can you check your emails for one from me? I need to confirm your address to mail your order. Thanks! Missie of Traditional Primitives Love your graphics on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, Thank you for your sweet comment that you left on my blog. I joined your blog.
    T was drooling over your work. I do quilt but NOTHING like you. I would do anything to have a small homemade quilt that you make. Your work is perfection, what a talent you have.
    Wishing you and your entire family a Very Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year.
    Christmas Blessings and Hugs,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Becky. New follower for you and I think you are a new follower for me, too. Just noticed your hand quilting needles and want to make sure I read the package correctly. Are you hand quilting with a size 12 needle? OMG, I am so impressed! Just wanted to share that because the smallest quilting needle that I can handle is a size 9 and I was pretty impressed with that. Now, I'm blown away that you use a 12. Those small needles make it so much easier to take a small stitch. Be well. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky love your blog and quilts , your work is stunning thanks for sharing. Helen xx

    ReplyDelete