Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Flea Market Finds and Other Treasures

   A quilting friend, Bonnebell, suggested I might enjoy a flea market at Hawkeye Downs in Cedar Rapids, IA, held Sunday October 25th, 10 AM to 5 PM. I convinced Randy we must go after early church. After all, he may find oil cans to add to his collection! That strategy worked and off we went, picking up our son, Isaah, on the way. Thank you,  Bonnebell! It was fabulous. The best I've ever been to except for the one in Maine 4 years ago. Randy did find an oil can he didn't already have, so he was happy. He and Isaah admitted they had fun seeing all the unusual antiques there. I hit the jackpot! I came home with 3 purchases.

  I bought this c.1860-70 quilt made in Pennsylvania. The outer border is my favorite , poison green. Yummidy!

The backing is a wonderful brown and pink print.

A closeup of a block. These colors are typical of Pennsylvania quilts made in the mid to late 1800's.

 I found this little cutey, a 1950's embroidered doll quilt. The binding is a pale blue and nicely quilted.

  
I couldn't walk away from this oak set of card catalog files...the one added to the bottom of this stack. I'd never seen one with five drawers wide by one tall. It measures 33" wide x 6 3/4" tall x 17" deep. Now, what to store in those drawers. Hmm...

I didn't buy this at the flea market. I won it on an online auction and it arrived in the mail last Friday. It is a c. 1860's Economy Block doll quilt, made in Quincy, Massachusetts. It is so sweet and measures 15" by 15". There are a few brown prints that have deteriorated, but overall condition is pretty good.

Nice brown with red print backing and hand-quilted.

  Randy ran my route tonight so I could have the evening off. I made a big pot of chili and spent the evening in my studio. Besides taking these photos and posting, I made a label for a great niece's baby quilt and stitched it on. I'm ready to ship it out now. She's due to arrive on November 24th. Thanks for stopping by.

Keep Stitchin'!
Becky

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! Wonderful treasures! I Love that little embroidered doll quilt - so sweet!! Those little drawers!! How super fun!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those card catalog boxes ! I have such fond memories of searching though them and the books I found that I didn't know I was looking for. Such a better search method in some ways that this sterile computer that takes you to the right item immediately with no detours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are wonderful finds, we never have things like that here, always 50's quilts and falling apart. I love the doll and crib quilts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been an antique style flea market. Good finds. The card catalog drawers would be a wonderful addition to a sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fantastic finds!!1 LOVE that Poison green!

    ReplyDelete